A small town in Southern Lithuania
Where the Jewish Community is no more
Shtetl Life - The Great Synagogue
Explanation of the Synagogue area - kindly provided by Miriam Cohen Gil
19 This building housed the Vad Ha'Kilah [ The Committee in charge of running the community]
21 Beit Midrash Prayer House
The main use of this building was for Torah study. However, the lower left hand rooms where used to collect furntiture
and other household goods for the needy. There was also a room where bridal dresses where stored for those families that could not provide for them. There was also an additional room that housed the "Small Fund" for those who needed a small interest free loan.
25 The Great Synagogue
This was used for the High Holidays and other special events.
27 Smaller Synagogue
This was the synagogue that was used by the community for its daily needs. In front of the sunagogue was a tiled Star of David.
This is where the weddings were held.
The Great Synagogue of Vilkaviskis
Ground plan of the Synagogue
Remembering the Great Synagogue of Vilkaviskis
As part of Yossi Ankorion's Plaque Project Yossi produced a plaque commemerating the Great Synagogue of Vilkaviskis. On the site of the Synagogue which was destroyed in 1941 is situated the Central Post Office
The very moving ceremony of the unveiling of the Synagogue plaque in the presences of the Mayor Mr.Algimantas Greimas
The Rabi and his family, Vilkaviskis, Lithuania, Passover 1929 Studio Photograph
Mr. Pomerantz, the town cantor, Vilkaviskis, Lithuania, 1932
Rabbi Abraham Klementinowsky the Shochet (ritual slaughterer), Vilkaviskis, 1930s
The Great Synaogue Beth Midrash and the Deutsche Klois at the Shulhoif the Synagogues court 1929
The old synagogue of Vilkaviskis, Lithuania, c.1910. The synagogue was built in 1545, and renovated in 1810
The synagogue in Vilkaviskis, Lithuania, 1930's
The Hassidic Rabbi in the Sukkah (tabernacle). Vilkaviskis, Lithuania, 1934